cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections to the AdminStudio Host

Hi all,

Can someone clarify for me whether the AdminStudio Application Manager on a workstation connects to its local AdminStudio Host service or the one running on the AdminStudio Enterprise Server?   I haven't found any clear documentation on this. 

The evidence that I have so far is ambiguous;

- The workstation has its own AdminStudio Host process.  This suggests that the AdminStudio Application Manager would uses its own Host service.

-  The Flexera Service Gateway Test page in the AdminStudio Application Manager tests a connection the AdminStudio Host service on the AdminStudio Enterprise Server.   This suggests that AdminStudio Application Manager uses the AdminStudio Enterprise Server Host service.

Peter

(1) Solution

This topic was discussed via case 02205920 and customer closed the ticket after his queries were addressed as below.

Kindly ignore my previous statement about FSG host process to avoid confusions.

1) Yes, you are right.

Though technically it is possible for other products to consume AdminStudio web services via FSG, there is no functionality in other products which would need AdminStudio services. At this point it is AdminStudio which consumes services of other products (FNMS and AppPortal) in this integration.

2) AdminStudio is a desktop product and today it is not possible to decouple AdminStudio host service from AdminStudio and run on a different machine.
Based on the previous comment, since no other product consumes AdminStudio services you will be fine even if you don't register AdminStudio with FSG.

Regards,

Jaganath S

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

Hi @peter_osang ,

Most of the AdminStudio Application Manager’s core functionality resides in the AdminStudio Host Process, which is available in the same machine where AdminStudio is installed.
You can find the host process (AdminStudioHost.exe) in the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdminStudio\2019\Common'.

Please have a look at the below document link for the information about the AdminStudio Host Process.
https://docs.flexera.com/adminstudio2020/Content/helplibrary/About_the_AdminStudio_Host_Process.htm#applicationcatalogs_794908166_2413787

AdminStudio Host must be running in order to use Application Manager or the Platform API. When Application Manager is launched, the AdminStudio Host process is automatically started, and its icon is added to the System Tray.

AdminStudio Enterprise Server (AES) is a Web application which is mainly used to display Reports. AES is hosted in IIS and it doesn't have any Host service similar to AdminStudio. AdminStudio and AdminStudio Enterprise Server can be integrated but AdminStudio Enterprise Server is not responsible for launching AdminStudio Host process.

Flexera Service Gateway (FSG) is a component that enables Flexera Products like AdminStudio, App Portal, Workflow Manager, and FlexNet Manager Suite / FlexNet Manager Platform to communicate.
May be while registering Flexera products like AdminStudio, AdminStudio Enterprise Server in FSG may call the FSG host process which can be found in the machine where FSG is installed.
Doing a Test connection in AdminStudio will displays all other products that are registered in Flexera service Gateway.

Hope this clarifies your query. Kindly let me know if any concerns.

Regards,
Jaganath S

Hi @jsubramaniyam ,

thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm seeking further clarification of your statement:
"May be while registering Flexera products like AdminStudio, AdminStudio Enterprise Server in FSG may call the FSG host process which can be found in the machine where FSG is installed."

In particular, can you tell me:
- Why is the AdminStudio Host service URL registered in the FSG?
I would expect that the answer is that one of the the other Flexera products (i.e. Workflow Manager, FNMS or App Portal) uses that URL to invoke AdminStudio Host web services. Assuming that I'm right, can you confirm which of those products makes such a connection

- Which AdminStudio Host service should be registered in the FSG?
When I register AdminStudio Application Manager with the FSG, it registers its local host process URL. For example, if I register my local workstation Admin Studio Application Manager with FSG then it will register my workstation's AdminStudio Host (i.e. http://my_workstation_ip_address:8086)
To me it doesn't make sense to register my workstation AdminStudio Host with FSG as the other Flexera products would unlikely be able to form connections to a workstation. I would expect that we would need to run an AdminStudio Host on a server (e.g. the Admin Studio Enterprise server) to support those connections.

regards,

Peter

This topic was discussed via case 02205920 and customer closed the ticket after his queries were addressed as below.

Kindly ignore my previous statement about FSG host process to avoid confusions.

1) Yes, you are right.

Though technically it is possible for other products to consume AdminStudio web services via FSG, there is no functionality in other products which would need AdminStudio services. At this point it is AdminStudio which consumes services of other products (FNMS and AppPortal) in this integration.

2) AdminStudio is a desktop product and today it is not possible to decouple AdminStudio host service from AdminStudio and run on a different machine.
Based on the previous comment, since no other product consumes AdminStudio services you will be fine even if you don't register AdminStudio with FSG.

Regards,

Jaganath S

Thanks for that clarification @jsubramaniyam. That's exactly the information that I was after.