Cannot select exclusion list from repackager wizard

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hello,

I seem to be missing a screen from the Repacker Wizard. I have two problems

--------------------------
1:

When I run through the repackager wizard I am not given the option to choose which exclusion list I would like to use while performing this snapshot i.e. the isprepacker.ini or the default.ini or a custon.ini for example.

According to your book this screen is supposed be the last one before you start the actual repackaging. However the screen is simply not there. I only ger a screen asking me what files like ini files etc and what directories I may want to restrict it to but I do not get the option to select an already existing exclusion list at all. Can you please explain this

---------------------------------

2:

I want to capture the changes the system makes during a normal reboot so I can exclude these from any snapshots etc.

Now according to the docs you do this my running a snapshot via the repackager I am having problems with this it is not obvious how to do this at all. Can you please explain? I would also like to Merge the information I find during the reboot and the default exclusion list to create my own exclusion list that excludes the changes made to the system at reboot. Can you please tell me how to merge these two into one exclusion list?
Thank you
(7) Replies
The exclusion list like you are referring to in this post has changed. It sounds as if you have a book for our older version and you are actually using the newer version of the product. If you want to make changes you can click the button in the attached picture.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks very much for the reply, This option allows me to tick or untick things like files or ini files or registry data etc i.e. either capture or do not capture a kind of all or nothing. it also allows me to excluse whole directories in the box below the tick boxes but it does not allow me to browse and choose on the the exclusion lists I created with the exclusion list editior. Unless I am doing some thing wrong? For example if I create five exclusion lists called 1.ini 2.ini 3.ini 4.ini 5.ini with the exclusion list editior all with various options. Then during a repackagin excercise I want to chose for example 3.ini how do I do this?

Thank you
What version of AdminStudio are you using? In 5.5, Repackager (isrepackager.exe) reads one exclusion list, which is a minimal list. When opening up IRP with ISLC.exe, ISLC.exe reads isrepackager.ini to apply default exlusions on differences captured by Repackager. From ISLC.exe, you have the option to apply different exclusion list by using different INI file. If my memory serves, this behavior is in AdminStudio since 5.0.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thank you for the email, I will have to look closer at this, I was informed it you select the Global Exclusio Editor from the Tools menu in the repackager before starting the repacking. Then from within the Global Exclusion Editor chose Open and select and exclusion list i.e. one of the custom ones you made earlier then close the Global Exclusion Editor the repackager will use this exclusion list from that repackagin exercise. i am not sure it this will work. What really really amazes me and I cannot see why installsheild have done this, in adminstudio 3.x it was extremely simple as the last screen before the repackaging was about the start basically said which exclusion list do you want to use and you could pick one or browse for one. Why on earth did they every change this very simply easy and straight forward method!

Thanks
The previous method is albeit easy and straightforward, but not the most efficient. The previous method will require user to repeat the entire snapshot process each time a different exclusion list is used. With the newer method, a snapshot is captured with minimal items excluded. This part will only be done once. Different exclusion lists can be applied to the captured to generate ISM projects.

Apparently your book is on an older version of AdminStudio, and is not entirely applicable to the newer versions.
Hello, While I am using Repackager (isrepackager.exe)

where is the first location that isRepackager.exe looks for isRepackager.ini?

Isn't there a short list of folders from where the Repackager will seek the isRepackager.ini?

Can someone help me answer this question?
There are two exclusion files associated with Repackager:

default.ini - aka isrepackager.ini
isrepackager.context.ini

default.ini is found in the main Repackager folder (typical path - C:\Program Files\AdminStudio\9.5\Repackager)

isrepackager.ini is found in the AdminStudio Shared folder (typical path - C:\AdminStudio Shared).

Off-hand, I don't recall whether the shared folder one or the Repackager folder one takes precedence.

isrepackager.context.ini lists some files and registry that get routed into the packagename.context.msi file that is created by Repackager. This usually contains files and registry related to the Windows Installer metadata that was captured. This information is normally not necessary, and so the generated packagename.context.msi can be ignored.

-Ajay