cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backlog Automation/Package Feed Module Downloads

Hi Team,

Hope everything is good :).

I have a question. I have used Backlog/PFM to automatically download the installer and its works wonders for our automation.

Our automation is composed of 3 components Backlog/Package Feed Module, Connector (bridge between PFM and Jira) and Jira Automation.

My concern is on the 1st component. PFM auto downloads the installer and then imports to App Catalog, how can I extract/get the Install and Uninstall Command of a certain downloaded installer?

i.e.

Zoom got automatically downloaded as part of my automation the downloaded installer will be package by my automation however it needs the install and uninstall commandline.

(1) Solution

AdminStudio is a 32-bit application and so are its PowerShell modules are 32-bit. So, you must use the 32-bit version of PowerShell on your device to access AdminStudio cmdlets.

On the 32-bit version of PowerShell, you have to first import the following three AdminStudio modules as below:

Import-Module -Name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdminStudio\2022\Common\AdminStudio.Platform.PowerShellExtensions.dll'
Import-Module -Name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdminStudio\2022\Common\AdminStudio.Utilities.dll'
Import-Module -Name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdminStudio\2022\Common\AdminStudio.SCCM.Integrator.dll'

Once these three modules are imported successfully, you will start to see the  AdminStudio PowerShell cmdlets. You need to first run the Set-ASConfigPlatform cmdlet to connect to your application catalog. Once the connection with your catalog is established successfully, then run Get-ASProperty for a package to fetch its install and uninstall cmdline switches.

Set-ASConfigPlatform: https://docs.flexera.com/adminstudio2022r2sp1/Content/helplibrary/ASplatform_Set_ASConfigPlatform.htm#platformapi_1854548123_1111474

Please send me your email address in a private message, I will write you an email again.

Thanks

View solution in original post

(8) Replies

Hello @normanperez ,

After a package (installer) is imported into an application catalog, the install and uninstall command line switches can be seen in the Programs tab of the package as shown in the screenshot below:

image.png

I am curious to understand your use case for fetching the install and uninstall command line switches from the catalog. How do you intend to use these outside of the catalog?

Thanks

Our automation is composed of 3 parts. PFM, AutoPackage Script and Jira.

I used PFM to automatically fetch/download new versions of vendor installer.

I use script to monitor that download, package and import to SCCM.
I use Jira to monitor and trigger automations too.

out environment is full of customization which I tried to use build-in feature of PFM/Application Manager however our environment needs are much more complicated thus I use script to drive the automation. Having said that, I need the Install/Uninstall script so I can feed it to my automation.

the way it will go would be... FPM downloads the new installers and then pass the Install/Uninstall commandline to my automation that will package/wrapped/import in SCCM then integrate with Jira.

I wonder if "Distribution System" then Custom Distribution Plugin then I'll create a script file that will trigger my automation and at the same time pass/feed my automation with the install/uninstall commandline from script parameter? Is there variable I can use as script parameter that holds the install/uninstall commandline?

Sorry that I missed to mention about the PowerShell cmdlet that you could use to fetch the install and uninstall command line switches for an installer in a catalog. You could fetch command line switches using this cmdlet and then pass them over to your automation script or your automation script might call this cmdlet directly depending on how your automation script is written. Here is the help topic related to the cmdlet:

https://docs.flexera.com/adminstudio2022r2sp1/Content/helplibrary/ASplatform_Get_ASProperty.htm#platformapi_1854548123_1118774

You could use AdminStudio's Application Distribution feature to publish applications from AdminStudio into ConfigMgr (SCCM) without having the need to manually (or have another script do the job) import applications into SCCM. Here is the related topic:

https://docs.flexera.com/adminstudio2022r2sp1/Content/helplibrary/DWApps.htm#distributionwizard_1083871077_1343872

I will be happy to engage with you in further discussion to see how we can enable you to use the distribution feature to publish applications into ConfigMgr directly or to use the Custom Distribution feature to address your customization to make a publish. I will write you an email.

Hi,

I tried "Custom Distribution Plugin" (indicated a PS1 to use) however when I go to "Configure Actions" - "Select action to configure:" - "Publish".. Under "Distribution System:" it doesn't show anything. I tried creating a normal SCCM Distribution Plugin and it worked BUT not Custom.

Also tried using AdminStudio PS module however it gives me the error...

import-module : Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\Programs\AdminStudio\2022\Common\AdminStudio.Platform.PowerShellExtensions.dll' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made
to load a program with an incorrect format.

import-module : Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\Programs\AdminStudio\2022\Common\AdminStudio.Utilities.dll' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program
with an incorrect format.

I need to find a way to take out that install and uninstall command and manipulate it through script.

Hello @normanperez,

Unfortunately, the custom distribution systems are not supported by automation at this point therefore you are unable to see the configured customer distribution system in the Publish action. The good news is that this is on our high-priority list of enhancements we intend to add to the product.

On the error that you are seeing while importing the PS modules, please have a look at this topic on setting up AdminStudio modules in PowerShell and let me know if this helps:

https://docs.flexera.com/adminstudio2022r2sp1/Content/helplibrary/ASplatform_setup.htm#platformapi_1854548123_1064596

I am curious to know if you have got my email requesting further discussion on setting you up with automation.

@kmantagi 

I have sent you a private message here however NOT sure if you received it. No I have not received your email, could you please resend.

the link you provided did NOT worked. If you are referring to the procedure wherein I need to create a file "powershell.exe.config" populate it with what's in the documentation and then place it to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0"... I have done that, I have installed it successfully. Followed all the option on how I can use the cmdlets.

However each time I will use a cmdlet (any cmdlet) it gives the below error.

Get-ASApplicationDetails : The type initializer for 'AdminStudio.Utilities.Provider.Reg.RegHelper' threw an exception. At line:1 char:1 + Get-ASApplicationDetails -Manufacturer "DAX Studio" -ProductName "DAX ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-ASApplicationDetails], TypeInitializationException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.TypeInitializationException,AdminStudio.PowerShellExtensions.ASGetApplicationDetails

AdminStudio is a 32-bit application and so are its PowerShell modules are 32-bit. So, you must use the 32-bit version of PowerShell on your device to access AdminStudio cmdlets.

On the 32-bit version of PowerShell, you have to first import the following three AdminStudio modules as below:

Import-Module -Name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdminStudio\2022\Common\AdminStudio.Platform.PowerShellExtensions.dll'
Import-Module -Name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdminStudio\2022\Common\AdminStudio.Utilities.dll'
Import-Module -Name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdminStudio\2022\Common\AdminStudio.SCCM.Integrator.dll'

Once these three modules are imported successfully, you will start to see the  AdminStudio PowerShell cmdlets. You need to first run the Set-ASConfigPlatform cmdlet to connect to your application catalog. Once the connection with your catalog is established successfully, then run Get-ASProperty for a package to fetch its install and uninstall cmdline switches.

Set-ASConfigPlatform: https://docs.flexera.com/adminstudio2022r2sp1/Content/helplibrary/ASplatform_Set_ASConfigPlatform.htm#platformapi_1854548123_1111474

Please send me your email address in a private message, I will write you an email again.

Thanks

@kmantagi 

Thank you for your response. I have sent you my email through private message.

Yes, I'm using 32Bit Powershell .

Yes, I have imported the DLL. Confirmed via the cmdlets being available in the 32Bit Powershell ISE.

I have used the Set-ASConfigPlatform.. Tried both "Windows NT Authentication" and "SQL Server Authentication" unfortunately I get the same error.

cmletsIssue.PNG