cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to switch from ISP modem/router to my own

I just moved to Seattle, and got fiber internet through CenturyLink. They provided a decent modem/router, but I want to use my own so I can do stuff like setup PiHole for my network. I got a Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router and a Netgear Nighthawk CM1100 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, but I suppose the cable modem won't work for my fiber internet. My apartment has Cat6 ports on the wall, so I tried plugging in the Ethernet cable into my router instead of the ISP-provided modem/router. I couldn't get the internet working that way, so I feel like I'm missing some additional piece of hardware (like a modem) to get things going. Any advice?

(1) Reply
RDanailov
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi @BuntyBhai ,

This is certainly a very interesting conversation to begin, but unfortunately, this forum is specialized for customers of Flexera that use products by the company. We cannot be of any further assistance to you on the matter you have shared. You would have to redirect your questions to other forums that are more specialized in this field. I regret we cannot help you further with your questions. 

Regards,
Rosen
"To understand where a system breaks, one should think like the person who built it"